1. Overview of Shipping Management Software in eCommerce
Half of what it takes to run a successful ecommerce retail business is the effective management of shipping and delivery. With advancements in logistics technology, shipping management software have come to the fore to assist ecommerce businesses and online retailers streamline their shipping operations.
Order fulfillment is the end goal of all sellers but it is only possible when all of the smaller shipping components work in tandem. That’s where shipping management software comes in. With shipping management software ecommerce businesses can manage shipments from the time of warehousing and order manifestation to pickups and deliveries. Since shipment management is such a crucial factor in customer satisfaction, ecommerce companies often wonder which is the best shipping management software they should use.
Look no further, because, in this article, we are going to discuss the 10 best shipping management software every ecommerce business can safely consider for their business operations. We will give a detailed breakdown of their features down below but first, let’s see what shipping management software is. Let’s dive in.
2. What is Shipping Management Software?
Shipping software helps both online and offline businesses to streamline their logistics operations by providing shipment management facilities. In addition to core shipping management services like order management, inventory management, warehousing, fulfillment services, shipping management software can also provide full-fledged shipping services. These may include pickup and drop-off (PUDO), packaging, label printing, bundling, kitting, etc.
A shipping management software can also provide exhaustive analytics reports on shipping performance. The goal of shipping management software is to attract traction, gain new customers, maintain customer lifecycles and provide the best post-purchase customer experience by maintaining superb shipping quality.
3. Top 10 Best Shipping Management Software for Best Customer Experience [2021 Updated List]
Choosing shipping management software for your business can never be easy. After all, there are so many factors to consider and shipping services to choose from. Moreover, it’s of extreme importance that the shipping management software you pick is compatible with your business goals and values. Below, we have listed the top 10 shipping management software an ecommerce business can choose from.
ClickPost is the fastest-growing end-to-end logistics and shipping management software that offers multi-carrier integrations to e-commerce businesses worldwide. ClickPost currently ships to 220+ countries.
- Easy integrations with all major marketplaces and virtual storefronts like Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, etc.
- Reach wider markets and customers with 150+ carrier integrations including the bigwigs like FedEx, UPS, USPS, DTDC, etc.
- Manage shipments with extensive inventory and warehouse management features that can connect with all selling channels for easy order retrieval.
- Gain cross-selling and upselling opportunities with a unique branded tracking page.
- Provide automated real-time tracking updates to customers at every order milestone.
- Handle product returns and delivery exceptions with ClickPost’s shipping management software.
- Automatically allocate the best carriers for every order based on shipping rates, delivery area and several other factors.
- ClickPost offers amazing customer service for the management of customer grievances and expectations.
ShipStation is an ecommerce shipping management software that provides services to both international and domestic markets. ShipStation has shipping plans for both small and large ecommerce enterprises.
- Directly import orders from over 100 selling channels, e-marketplaces, ERPs, etc.
- Filter, combine and split orders in batches with ShipStation’s order management feature that allows businesses to manage shipments from a single place.
- Avail of the inventory management feature with ShipStation’s desktop or mobile.
- Keep track of inventory and record outgoing/incoming orders across all platforms.
Shippo is a delivery and shipping management software that automates ecommerce shipping processes with the help of APIs. Shippo offers its shipping and shipment management services to over 200 countries.
- Provide scheduled deliveries to customers with multiple carriers including FedEx, USPS, etc.
- Provide huge discounts on shipping rates for FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.
- Manage product returns with ShipStation’s returns module.
ShippyPro is a shipping management software that also provides other shipping services to ecommerce businesses like pick and pack, customised packaging, etc.
- Connect your online stores with 163+ carriers and over 70 selling channels like Shopify, BigCommerce, GrandCommerce, etc.
- Provide real-time tracking options with the help of GPS-enabled tech.
- Manage all shipments and order data under a single roof with a unified dashboard feature.
Convey is a post-purchase customer experience and shipping management software that streamlines the order fulfillment process by introducing tech-enabled workflow and delivery management.
- Maintain absolute shipment visibility and send order update notifications to customers via email or phone.
- Provide a fully customisable branded tracking experience to customers and boost conversion rates.
- The A.I.-driven shipping management software automatically detects shipping exceptions or delays and notifies customers before they become anxious.
WeSupplyLabs is a supply chain management and shipping management software. They aim to improve the post-purchase experience of customers by allowing ecommerce businesses to streamline their shipping operations.
- Keep WISMO calls at bay by reaching out to your customers with real-time order update notifications.
- WeSupplyLabs can furnish ecommerce businesses with a self-serve order tracking portal for customers or a branded tracking page.
- Get help managing customer expectations with a nearly accurate estimated delivery date prediction (EDD).
EasyShip is a cloud-based shipping management software that features a user-friendly dashboard for easy management of shipments. EasyShip offers the best discounts on shipping with DHL, USPS, UPS and many other courier partners.
- Get a seamless shipping management experience with EasyShip’s platform integrations.
- Customise shipping rules for every shipment type or delivery zone and automate the shipping process.
- Generate packing slips, print shipping labels and shipping docs over shipping APIs and save time and money.
Shipway is shipping management and order tracking software helping ecommerce businesses process orders faster and without any errors. ShipWay integrates with 550+ couriers to carry out delivery operations across the world.
- ShipWay’s API allows ecommerce retailers to automate a lot of processes like printing shipping labels, allocating carriers, choosing the package sizes of orders.
- Get full visibility on the shipment journey from the warehouse by scheduling pickups.
- Streamline daily workflow and shipping management with integrations with selling channels and ecommerce platforms.
ParcelPerform is excellent customer retention and shipping management software. ParcelPerform brings 600+ carriers and logistics aggregators of ecommerce businesses to choose from.
- Offer tracking to customers from a branded tracking page for a better ecommerce journey.
- Add customer-specific info with every order to make it more personalized for the end customer and boost customer satisfaction.
- Track, manage and check orders from a single unified dashboard that also allows businesses to import all shipping data from various online platforms.
OrderHive is an A.I.-powered shipping and delivery management providing shipping, delivery, and warehousing services to ecommerce businesses all over the world.
- Get access to multi-carrier shipping with pre-integrated third-party logistics providers.
- OrderHive is suitable for both single or bulk shipping across continents.
- Orderhive provides several insurances plans an ecommerce business can benefit from.
- Ecommerce businesses that partner with OrderHive get access to OrderHive wallet that can be used to pay for transactions including insurance.
4. How to Choose the Best Shipping Management Software for Hassle-Free Shipping
Now that you are familiar with the 10 best shipping management software and the services they offer, it’s time to learn how to choose the best one out of the lot. We have determined a few facilities that every ecommerce business should look for in their shipping management software.
4.1) Shipping Rates
The end goal of all businesses is to maintain profitability. Figuring out shipping costs before finalizing a shipping management software is important because shipping costs have a way of surpassing estimated costs at the time of billing. This happens because a lot of shipping services that are included in a shipping management package are actually value-added services. Many shipping software companies offer cash on delivery, packaging, customized label printing, at added costs.
4.2) Delivery Range and Serviceability
Serviceability refers to the number of areas or locations a shipping management software delivers to or picks up from. Generally speaking, the more locations a shipping company provides its services to, the better it is for your business. However, you must talk to your provider in advance to ascertain whether they cater to the areas where you have most of your operations. A shipping management software with its vast range of serviceable regions can help ecommerce businesses reach newer markets and target more customers.
4.3) Types of Delivery and Modes of Payment
Rising customer demands has made ecommerce businesses take notice, many of which have started providing varied payment and delivery options to their customers. From payment options like net banking, credit/debit transactions, e-wallets and UPIs and delivery methods like hyperlocal delivery, same or next day delivery, 45-minute delivery, nothing is out of the reach of a shipping management software. The kind of services you get will depend on the shipping management software you choose.
4.4) Technical Support
Since the software can be a finicky thing to handle, it's a good idea to choose a shipping management software company that has tech support. This way even if you face any technical issues or glitches with the software, you can immediately speak to the technical team for help.
4.5) Reverse Logistics
One of the biggest ways in which shipping management software can help ecommerce businesses is by managing reverse logistics or product returns. Reverse Logistics in eCommerce is a costly affair that can lead to losses if not managed in time. Look for a shipping management software that handles returns, refunds and maintains customer expectations during the returns process.
4.6) Shipping Exceptions Management (NDR Management)
Shipping Exceptions or failed deliveries happen when an order is not delivered to the customer. This can happen due to several reasons like unavailability of the customer, wrong delivery address or even fake deliveries. A shipping management software can detect a shipping exception, intimate customers, about a possible delay and quickly find out the reason for the failed or delayed delivery. This allows online retailers to take immediate action.
4.7) Inventory Management
A shipping management software can provide extensive inventory management solutions. It includes a collection of orders, packaging, keeping stock of inventory and replenishing inventory from time to time. Ecommerce companies can benefit from real-time inventory management recording services provided by shipping management software.
4.8) Warehousing Solutions
Warehouse management is a premier service of shipping management software. Warehousing includes sourcing of orders from the seller to the shipping company's warehouse. There, products are given SKUs and stored in bins and shelves till an order is received. Warehousing saves a lot of space and stress for businesses.
4.9) Use of Technology
A shipping management software is heavily reliant for the proper functioning and automation of shipping processes. Therefore, enquire about the tech capabilities of the shipping management software. The best shipping management software uses GPRS tech, A.I.-powered software, and big data to collect information and optimize shipping operations.
4.10) Live Order Tracking
Regardless of the size of your business, sending order tracking info or automatic order update messages is a must. Choose a shipping management software that features a live order tracking feature where customers can easily trace the movement of their orders.
5. Final Conclusion
As order volumes increase, shipping management software will become an indispensable part of your ecommerce business. This is because higher order volumes also mean higher product returns and more number of delayed, stuck or failed shipments. Shipping management software with their A.I.-driven engines that automatically identify order fulfillment issues and stop them from affecting customer happiness is a must for every growing ecommerce business. We hope this article has given you a greater insight into the functions of shipping management software and helps you in choosing the right shipping management software for your ecommerce business. Take care!