1) Overview of Last-Mile Delivery Tracking in eCommerce
The constantly changing last-mile delivery expectations of customers have led eCommerce businesses to reinvent the meaning of faster deliveries. Since the eCommerce ecosystem is heavily dependent on timely deliveries, solving glitches that arise during the last leg of the shipping journey is a must. A recurrent problem facing the last-mile delivery system is the absence of proper order tracking features. Today's customers want to know where their order is and when it will be delivered to them. Failure to satisfy these basic requirements will make your customers look elsewhere the next time they shop. With Amazon Prime's same-day delivery option available in the market, the only way to ensure customer satisfaction is by enabling last-mile delivery tracking.
2) What is Last Mile Delivery & Tracking Software?
The distance a shipment covers from the last transportation hub to the customer's doorstep is known as last-mile delivery in eCommerce. It is the shortest step of forward logistics. Yet, it is plagued by a number of issues like delivery exceptions, delayed orders, unavailability of tracking options, etc.
A last-mile delivery tracking software is essentially a shipping solution provider that helps you optimize the final-mile journey of the shipment. Such software can integrate with your online storefront to provide accurate Estimated Delivery Dates (EDDs) at the time of checkout, handle logistics carefully and take prompt action if something goes wrong during the last delivery mile.
As an eCommerce business, customer satisfaction and retention should be your biggest goals. The best way to achieve that is by showing realistic EDDs and real-time tracking updates. Against popular belief, most customers state the post-purchase experience as the deciding factor for brand loyalty. In short, make your customers feel you value their time and in return, they will bring value to your brand. Simple.
3) Top 10 Best Last-Mile Delivery Software for Ecommerce Shipment Tracking [2021 Updated List]
There is a plethora of software in the market for last-mile delivery tracking. Trying each of them out is out of the question. To solve this conundrum, we have selected the best industry players in the field of last-mile tracking. Below, you will find a detailed list of all their features. You can then estimate the value they will bring to your online company.
ClickPost is an industry leader in providing intelligent logistics solutions to eCommerce enterprises. This SaaS platform (Software as a Service) uses ML (Machine Learning) and A.I.-powered software to solve all last-mile delivery issues.
Key Features of ClickPost:
- It integrates with over 150 carriers to help businesses improve customer's post-shopping experience.
- Provides a branded tracking page that allows customers to track the current status of their orders.
- A branded tracking page also helps brands cross-sell and upsell products via featured images.
- It automates carrier allocation for every shipment according to location and delivery instructions.
- A single dashboard allows you to customize labels and generate airway bills.
- It automatically sends order status updates to customers on their mobile phones, emails, and WhatsApp.
- The software features a robust NDR Management system (Non-Delivery Report) that helps bring down last-mile delivery exceptions.
- It follows up with customers to determine the cause of failed deliveries.
- ClickPost also allows a last-minute change of delivery address if a customer is not available at the original address at the time of delivery.
- This remarkable feature is a godsend for online businesses trying to bring down final-mile delivery problems.
OnFleet is a logistics company based out of San Francisco that dedicates all its operations to untangling the knots of last-mile delivery. It offers its services to 90+ countries worldwide and is proud to have many famous brands among its customers.
Key Features of OnFleet:
- The OnFleet App uses a route optimization engine to find out the quickest routes and avoid logjams to deliver the order to the customer as fast as possible.
- The Auto-Dispatch feature picks the driver closest to the delivery point and appoints them for the delivery.
- Real-time tracking option tells you and your customer exactly where the shipment is at any given moment.
- You can also ask for proof of delivery before marking the shipping process as complete.
Shipsy is a third-party logistics (3PL) software that brings last-mile delivery and tracking solutions to e-tailers. It currently provides its services in the Middle East and the Americas.
Key Features of Shipsy:
- The software pairs route optimization with multi-stop delivery. The driver can pick the route which is the fastest and also allows to fulfill the maximum number of deliveries in a single go.
- Tracking of orders from the time it is shipped up to the last mile is entirely transparent and accessible.
- The software automatically picks transport vehicles and allots packages according to the size to fully utilize the vehicle space.
- Shipsy gathers analytics on last-mile delivery reports to help you improve future performance.
Next up is Track-POD. This software actually works through an app to give delivery management solutions to its customers. The app is easily downloadable on both android and iOS devices. It comes with a 7-day free trial which, unlike other apps, gives you full access to its entire range of shipping services.
Key Features of Track-POD:
- Track POD is extremely user-friendly. It's dead simple to navigate through all of the in-app features and purchases.
- Geotagging enabled route-finding lets you track the movement of the shipment right to the customer's steps.
- The app lets you send out a pretty accurate ETA as soon as an order is placed.
- They have done away with all the paperwork.
- If you want to obtain proof of delivery, you only need to ask your customers to sign on the delivery agent's mobile glass.
- This also relieves you of going into unnecessary paper invoices.
3.5) Starship Technologies
When we talk about a fully automated shipping experience, why don't we ever talk about robots delivering packages to customers? Well, that's exactly the question Starship Technologies asked themselves. Or so we think. This company makes autonomous robots that fulfill orders to customer's doorsteps.
Key Features of Starship Technologies:
- This software is hyperlocal delivery and last-mile delivery bundled together. The robots pick up items from local stores and deliver them to online shoppers.
- Orders can be placed with the mobile app which immediately displays the estimated time for the delivery.
- For security reasons, the cargo or payload bay is locked and can only be opened by the right customer with their app.
- Before you run away with your imagination, it's worth mentioning that the robots are safe to be around.
- Aside from being amazingly cost-efficient, this is perhaps the most eco-friendly shipping service provider of the entire lot.
Nuro is another carrier software that fuses hyperlocal delivery with the last-mile delivery model. It has recently teamed up with FedEx to bring groundbreaking innovations to the often overlooked last-mile delivery segment.
Key Features of Nuro:
- Unmanned, fully autonomous futuristic-looking fleets bring goods to the customer in a timely fashion.
- The vehicles are compartmentalized into fully customizable payload areas that can fit in anything from food to medicines to groceries.
- Order tracking is a highlighted feature of the software. Get milestone updates on your phone with Nuro.
- Safety is a priority for Nuro. They have NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and California Deploy Permits.
LogiNext Solutions offer incredible last-mile delivery and tracking options for eCommerce retailers to provide customer-friendly shipping. It is currently operational in the US, Singapore, Indonesia, and the UAE. They also have reverse and on-demand delivery in their shipping collection.
Key Features of LogiNext Software:
- The route-mapping feature comes with dynamic rerouting that allows drivers to change roads if a customer asks for an address change at the last moment.
- An electronic proof of delivery is provided to the delivery agent to mark the completion of timely delivery.
- It is one of the rarer companies to provide cash on delivery as a payment option.
- It can come in extremely handy and if by chance, a customer who has opted for COD payment cannot pay in cash, they can make an e-payment instead.
Scurri is a complete delivery management software that gives reliable last-mile solutions as well. It is popular in the eCommerce industry for on-time deliveries that are cost-efficient for the businesses that integrate with it.
Key Features of Scurri:
- Avail on-demand and slot-based shipping options from a single-click dashboard.
- They are known for managing and monitoring SLAs (Service Level Agreement) and also provide Real-time updates for order tracking.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of delivery exceptions, delayed orders, or fake and failed attempts with their extensive analytics report.
Onro is a software exclusively offering last-mile delivery services to businesses of all sizes. The Onro App comes with a few really cool features that will aid in scaling up and detangling the delivery process.
Key Features of Onro:
- The app has white-label branding page options for eCommerce enterprises.
- Meaning, when a customer opens their app to see where their order is, they will see the page in your brand colors and logo.
- They have a host of language options to choose from. So, whatever your customer's native tongue, Onro is there to provide a holistic experience for them.
- The tracking feature is on point. This is a feature that is somewhat standard to all good last-mile delivery tracking software.
- You can select the carrier vehicle as well as chat with the driver in real-time to provide any specific instructions.
Smart Consign is a cloud-based SaaS channel. It specializes in improving last-mile delivery and introducing economical shipping processes. It was established in 2008 and has slowly grown to become a global name.
Key Features of SmartConsign:
- Provides both domestic and international last-mile delivery options. Also offers same-day delivery (SDD) facilities within the country.
- It incorporates a brilliant localization tool that allows customers to select their language, time zones, currency, etc.
- The software also comes with a built-in customer service feature.
- All queries and doubts can be dropped onto the page and a customer care executive soon gets in touch with you.
4) How to Choose the Best Last-Mile Delivery & Tracking Software for Your eCommerce Business?
Now that you are familiar with the best names in the industry for last-mile delivery tracking, there's still one thing left to do. To choose the perfect final-mile delivery tracking software to suit your business. We have listed all the pointers to keep in mind before selecting one.
This is the most obvious one. But don't make a hasty decision by opting for the software that costs the least. For successful shipping operations, you want to weigh the profits you rake in with the help of the software against its cost. That would give you the most cost-effective solution.
4.2) Network Coverage
Ideally, you should choose software that covers the biggest area for last-mile delivery. But make sure your audience falls under the areas they service or it will be useless.
If you're going to join hands with a third-party provider for managing such a crucial part of your business, you need to be able to trust them. Businesses can't work together in the absence of dependability.
4.4) Payment Options
Having many payment options available at the customer's disposal is good for business. E-wallets, bank transfers, UPI payments, cash-on-delivery, credit points. Nothing should be out of the reach of your carrier partner.
4.5) Tracking Visibility
Transparent order tracking is of utmost importance. For track and trace, you want a clean interface that shows real-time status updates of orders and also notifies customers on their email, SMS, or WhatsApp.
4.6) Proof of Delivery
POD is another notable feature that you should look for in your last-mile delivery tracking software. It will give you immense peace of mind. If your carrier offers digitized POD, then all the better for you.
4.7) Customer Support
Customers want to be on top of their shipping journey. And if they can't find what they are looking for, they will want to speak to someone from your team. Your job is to ensure an open communication channel between your online store and the online shopper. Customer support greatly improves customer satisfaction and can help you acquire return buyers.
4.8) Branded Tracking Page
A branded tracking page gives the online customer a holistic shopping experience. It builds loyalty and appreciation for the brand and can also help you cross-sell with featured product images.
5) What are the Key Benefits of Using a Last-Mile Delivery & Tracking Software [Top 6 Advantages]
5.1) Smooth Shipping Experience
A shipping software company has the advanced tech, better geo-connectivity and economies of scale. All of this combined with specialized skills and experience make them so much better at handling shipping operations than an ecommerce company.
5.2) Route Optimisation
Faster deliveries that make good on EDDs can only be possible with exceptional route mapping. Moreover, these software's use better maps than the average Google Maps and can quickly change directions if they see a roadblock ahead.
5.3) Flexible Delivery
Last-mile delivery can go wrong for several reasons. Sudden traffic jams, unavailability of the driver at the last minute, request from the customer to change their delivery address, payment methods and a host of other things. It’s important you choose a last-mile delivery system that can handle all these unforeseen events and more.
5.4) Enhanced Order Tracking
Order tracking is a premium feature of the last-mile delivery service. Naturally, the features a dedicated software for last-mile delivery can provide will be far more advanced than those of an ecommerce business. Plus, these software can help you ship in bulk and keep track of all the orders. With the use of shipping filters, you can quickly browse through the shipments to find out the milestones they have crossed.
5.5) Boost Customer Engagement
With the help of tracking pages and customer care support, final-mile delivery software enables customers to get in touch with businesses directly. This can happen over the phone, email or chat. Customer engagement has a huge impact on bringing down missed deliveries or delivery exceptions. Additionally, it also makes customers feel more satisfied and valued by the brand.
5.6) Increases Efficiency and Profitability
Customers are now used to receiving orders at lightning speed. Most of such on-demand, hyperlocal and Same-day delivery(SDD) has been facilitated by use of next-gen technology. Software today eases the last-mile delivery logistics by auto-allocating carriers, routes and several other mechanisms. Automation has reduced the need for manual intervention at every step. This increases efficiency and profitability.
6) Final Conclusion
The last-mile delivery has been a challenging problem to solve. Yet, it is one of the most important aspects of a shipping journey. Last-mile delivery is the final part of a customer’s shopping experience. How you choose to bring that experience to a close can make or break your brand. So, think carefully about your business and where you see it 5 years from now. Then, pick the software that you think will serve you best to that end. We hope this article will help you in your decision-making. All the best!