1. Overview of Logistics Companies in Canada for eCommerce
The logistics industry of Canada is constantly changing and evolving. It has pushed the e-commerce market to a growth rate of 3%-4% over the past few years. This growth can be attributed to automated technology, resulting in more secure and efficient logistics solutions. It has led to more reliable warehousing and transportation operations, among many other logistics functions.
The top logistics companies in Canada have consistently provided competitive prices and extensive operational strength. They have played a major role in supporting the expansion of online businesses, including SMBs and large enterprises.
Accordingly, we are witnessing many online ventures looking for logistics companies with a wide range of services to manage their supply chains. So, let's take a closer look at the biggest logistics companies in Canada for developing your e-commerce business.
2. Top 15 Best Logistics Companies in Canada for Online eCommerce Business [2023 Updated List]
Reliable, competitive, and expedited operations are today's norm in supply chain practices. Therefore, Canadian logistics companies are constantly investing in and adopting higher-end technologies. This has drastically improved order processing, warehousing, and transportation.
Logistics and shipping service providers have optimized last-mile delivery, customer support, and resource management. Their innovations have provided cutting-edge services to e-commerce retailers and customers. Now let's take a look at the top logistics firms in Canada.
DHL is an industry leader among the best Canadian logistics companies and has been operational for over 30 years. With headquarters at Mississauga, there are six major ground hubs with 3500 employees across Canada.
|Headquarters||Mississauga, ON, Canada|
|Services||Integrated logistics, Warehousing and fulfillment, Transportation distribution, Contract logistics, Consulting, and management.|
|Industries catered to||Manufacturing, Chemicals, Healthcare, Auto-mobility, Energy, Manufacturing Engineering, Retail, Consumer and Public sector.|
- With a recent $100m investment, DHL Canada's warehouse management has become top-notch with contemporary technology and comprehensive inventory processing.
- They have integrated transport, warehousing, and management services to provide innovative solutions to daily challenges.
- DHL provides additional services like packaging, bundling, labeling, and temperature-controlled facilities.
- Their logistics operations are supported by a well-configured tracking system for end-to-end visibility.
- They offer international shipping services to more than 220 countries with an all-inclusive customs clearance system.
UPS is another well-known logistics service provider with 62 facilities and 12000 employees across Canada. They offer international shipping to 220 plus countries.
|Services||Contract logistics, Shipping, and Cross-border services|
|Industries catered to||Healthcare, SMBs, High-growth sectors, and International markets.|
- They have developed a comprehensive tracking system supported by the Quantum View app to manage inbound and outbound services for large enterprises.
- UPS has a team of highly trained professionals providing innovative customer-first solutions, partnering with international vendors.
- UPS is excellent at solving various challenges in different time zones, languages, carriers, and distances.
FedEx is one of the most recognized names when it comes to logistics service providers in Canada and around the world. They have mastered last-mile delivery and developed many tools to assist eCommerce businesses in their daily shipping operations.
|Services||Express shipping, International shipping, and Industry-specific solutions|
|Industries catered to||Aerospace, Healthcare, Business, and e-commerce|
- FedEx offers a wide range of packaging solutions with flexible, user-friendly, self-sealing packages.
- They provide last-mile shipping optimization, rescheduling, and redirecting for pick-up and delivery services.
- You can avail of their accurate real-time tracking system to ensure your shipment visibility.
- They offer specialized packaging for hazardous products like lithium batteries and expertise in shipping dangerous items such as firecrackers, toxic gas, etc., meeting international safety standards.
Yusen Logistics is a reliable shipping company in Canada with modern infrastructure and secure facilities supported by a 150,000 sqm warehouse area.
|Headquarters||Brampton, Ontario, Canada|
|Services||Freight services, Contract logistics warehouse management, and Customs brokerage.|
|Industries catered to||Healthcare, Electronics, Aerospace Industries, and Food packaged products.|
- Yusen Logistics provides highly specialized shipping services like direct in-store delivery from ports or distribution centers and fast order pick-up.
- They provide temperature-controlled facilities for time-sensitive and cold chain shipments at affordable rates.
- They strictly follow quality standards combined with specialized packaging and custom labeling solutions.
- They securely manage the supply chain by performing quality checks at inbound and outbound logistical points and offer multi-modal and intermodal transportation services.
XPO Logistics is a reliable logistics shipping company in Canada with an expansive network of 756 service locations and 42,000 employees working globally.
|Parameters||XPO Logistics Canada|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Services||Truck brokerage, LTL, Global Freight Forwarding, Intermodal and drayage, last-mile delivery, and managed transportation.|
|Industries catered to||Retailers, E-commerce sites, and Food and beverage companies.|
- XPO Logistics has one of the largest drivers, trucks, and terminals networks in the Canadian logistics industry for LTL shipping and truck brokerage service.
- They provide end-to-end digital visibility for their shippers with innovative data-science-powered technical solutions.
- XPO offers seamless shipper-carrier interaction with full automation capabilities and dynamic rerouting for pick-up and delivery services.
- They also provide data-driven analytics for optimal pricing and product management.
Aramex is another well-recognized supply chain and logistics service provider in Canada. Aramex offers integrated warehouse management and competitive shipping rates for shippers and eCommerce retailers.
|Headquarters||Mississauga, ON, Canada|
|Services||Express, Shipping services, Small business solutions, and drop/shop and ship|
|Industries catered to||Oil and gas, Fashion, and Small industries.|
- Aramex's extensive 3PL network and advanced warehouse facilities ensure inventory management, optimal storage, and stock control.
- Their premium logistical operations make them leaders in the industry with flexible pick-up, delivery services, returns management, and customer care.
- Aramex also offers the opportunity for shippers to claim compensation if their goods are damaged or lost.
- Their order tracking system provides end-to-end visibility with real-time notifications.
CanadaPost is a postal service with a rich history and a strong foundation in the logistics industry in Canada. It is the primary postal service in the country that has coverage of the remotest addresses. The company relies on its experience and innovative technology to execute postal operations successfully.
|Services||Mailing, Money services, Document sharing, and Small business mailing.|
|Industries catered to||Personal mail and Small businesses.|
- CanadaPost provides real-time order tracking with end-to-end visibility of your shipments.
- They offer international shipping, competitive shipping rates for large volume shippers, shipping label generation, and a reliable customs clearance service.
- They deliver value-added services like custom labeling, parcel pick-up, and delivery optimization with efficient returns management.
DTDC has been a part of the logistics industry in Canada for more than 25 years. It operates out of over 10,000 locations globally. Moreover, they provide international shipping to 240 plus countries.
|Headquarters||Mississauga, ON, Canada|
|Services||Express parcel, Overseas freight, Warehousing, and Truck transportation.|
|Industries catered to||Healthcare, Automobile, Technology, Manufacturing, Financial sector, and FMCG.|
- DTDC in Canada provides customized solutions for warehouse fulfillment and shipping operations at economical prices.
- Their warehouses are equipped with 24/7 security management and temperature-controlled facilities to ensure the safety of the products.
- They offer tailor-made solutions for pick-up and delivery with custom packaging options and reduces operational cost with automation.
- DTDC is a go-to service provider for cross-border shipments equipped with a wide range of international services, competitive rates, and comprehensive custom clearance.
9. DB Schenker Canada
DB Schenker is one of the top shipping companies in Canada, which has been in operation for over fifty years now. The company has a robust customer support system with over 90,000 employees in 2000 locations worldwide.
|Parameters||DB Schenker Canada|
|Services||Freight forwarding, Land transportation, Contract logistics, Lead logistics, and special products.|
|Industries catered to||Aerospace, Automotive, Healthcare, Fashion, Marine, Perishables.|
- The versatility of their operations ensures that they can handle any industry's needs with customized solutions.
- Schenker is their dedicated portal for shipment management, data analytics, and order tracking.
- With a single portal to manage your international shipping needs, Schenker empowers the customer by providing 24/7 support with proactive solutions.
10. Purolator Inc
Purolator Inc. has amassed over 50 years of experience in the logistics industry, offering comprehensive solutions for supply chain operations.
|Headquarters||Mississauga, Ont., Canada|
|Services||Integrated freight, Reverse logistics, LTL, Dangerous goods, Tailgate and Delivery.|
|Industries catered to||Retail, E-commerce, Industrial, Telco, Healthcare, and Small business.|
- Purolator Inc provides global connectivity to more than 210 countries.
- With Purolator express application, you can manage all your shipments with a comprehensive order tracking system.
- They also offer specialized packaging for unique commodities and dangerous goods with expert teams and solutions.
- In addition, they have next-day delivery options supported by efficient returns with reverse logistics and a well-calibrated system for international shipments.
Asendia is a cross-border shipping service provider that empowers Canadian businesses to ship internationally to 200 countries efficiently. Established in 2012 by the joint efforts of Swiss Post and La Poste, they offer an array of delivery services and eCommerce solutions.
|Headquarters||Folcroft, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.|
|Services||International Parcel and Mail Shipping, Cross Border Delivery, Global Retail, and E-Commerce Solutions|
|Industries catered to||Publishing and Marketing Agencies, Fashion and Apparel, Beauty and Health, Marketplaces, Travel and Tourism|
- Their flagship e-PAQ program offers four tiers of the parcel and packages delivery services for international shipping with order tracking and fast delivery options.
- They also offer a cost-effective mailing service for catalogs, leaflets, brochures, and business mails with a broad network of Post Offices operating in 200 countries.
- They provide special services in optimizing eCommerce order fulfillment, feasible returns solutions, and forward dispatch services like picking and packing.
- Asendia is completely carbon neutral. It promotes carbon offsetting and supports wind power projects.
Canpar is an economical shipping company famous amongst small and medium-sized Canadian businesses. Canpar has forty years of shipping experience and offers the best rates for regular ground shipping in the country.
|Services||Ground, Select, and Express Shipping in Canada and U.S., Pick-up on-demand service, transit, and rate calculator, Tracking.|
|Industries catered to||E-commerce retailers, Small and Medium Businesses, MarketplacesFeatures:|
- Multiple options for tracking parcels using barcodes, reference or shipper number, postal code of destination address, and obtaining the customer’s signature upon delivery.
- They offer multiple services for fast deliveries, including next-day and two days deliveries across Canada, with 40% less shipping rates than other carriers.
- They provide affordable and convenient shipping and delivery services to U.S. addresses and 215 countries worldwide.
- They present cash on delivery option for credit risk customers and supports multiple payment options, including cheques, cash, and money order.
Byexpress is a logistics and transportation management company based out of Ottawa, Canada. Their operations range from warehousing to freight forwarding, transportation, and distribution. Its specialty lies in offering customized service packages fulfilling the specific needs of eCommerce companies.
|Services||FTL/LTL shipping, Cross-docking, Cross-border shipping, Customs clearance, Supply chain management, Distribution Management, Ocean/Air Freight|
|Industries catered to||SMBs, E-Commerce enterprises, Manufacturing, Furniture, ElectronicsFeatures:|
- They are fully equipped to handle Less-than-truck-load and Full-truck-load shipping services at an economical price.
- They offer carrier rate comparisons, negotiated rates with a 40%-60% discount, and scheduling multiple shipment pickups.
- For final mile deliveries, they offer fleet management, shipment tracking, warehousing, and shipping of bulky items.
14. Chit Chats
Chit Chats is another eCommerce logistics and shipping solutions provider in Canada that is especially good at reducing shipping costs. Canadian retailers shipping to the U.S. can cut shipping costs by 71%! Based out of Burlington, Ontario, Chit Chats has been operational since 2001.
|Services||US Postal Service, Delivery, Warehousing, Supplies, Insurance, Carrier discounts|
|Industries catered to||Small and Medium Businesses, E-Commerce Manufacturers and Suppliers, eCommerce maketplacesFeatures:|
- They offer complete parcel tracking for Canada to U.S. shipping and standard delivery within two to four business days.
- They present a 48% discount on national carriers for shipping within the country and surplus benefits like full tracking and insurance.
- For international shipping, they partner with leading carriers like USPS and Asendia to offer an 80% reduction in shipping costs.
- They provide low-cost insurance starting at $0.40 and hassle-free claims within seven to ten business days.
eShipper is a logistics and fulfillment company offering tailor-made shipping solutions for eCommerce companies in Canada. They have over 35 warehouses in North America and present an estimated 70% discount on leading carriers. With 21 years of experience, eShipper provides freight solutions, international shipping, and warehousing across Canada and U.S.
|Services||Courier and mail shipping, LTL and air freight, Warehousing, International shipping, Next -day shipping, Amazon FBA, Walmart Marketplace|
|Industries catered to||eCommerce Marketplaces, Fashion and Apparel, Beauty, Small Businesses, HealthcareFeatures:|
- Their SmartZone Skipping solution reliably predicts routes free of congestion, directs vehicles to 2.2 million Canadian addresses, and saves 50% on shipping costs.
- They offer multimodal and intermodal shipping along with door-to-door tracking.
- eShipper provides feasible Canada to U.S. shipping, handling customs and FDA clearance, so there are no stuck shipments at borders.
- They facilitate next-day delivery in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton with GPS tracking of parcels and proof of delivery.
3. How to choose the best logistics company in Canada for your e-commerce business?
Choosing the logistics service provider for your e-commerce business can be daunting. And every company will offer you different benefits and services, leaving you to wonder which one is right for you. So, here is a look at essential aspects to consider when selecting the best logistics service provider in Canada.
A logistics company's capability to reach a wide range of areas and move orders of different bandwidths would refer to its serviceability scope. Moreover, logistics companies should execute extensive operations in a vast country like Canada.
Ideally, they should provide an expansive network of 3PL partnerships and end-to-end logistics management systems with expert solutions. You need to understand the requirements of your business and the regions you want to ship to find the ideal shipping partner.
2. Warehouse solutions
Warehousing goes hand in hand with the operations of a logistics supply chain and requires automated tools to manage inventory efficiently. Inventory allocation, deallocation, and tracking need a lot of accurate data processing and efficient human resources to deliver consistent results.
So, shipping companies in Canada employ technology and strategic ideas to keep shipping operations hassle-free. In addition, warehouses should have temperature-controlled facilities to store cold chain products and an expansive area for storage spaces.
3. Transport and technology
Shipment and last-mile deliveries rely on transportation systems equipped with contemporary technology. Modern-day transportation systems utilize new technology that can only be maintained by professionals trained in this area.
Moreover, the best fleet of transport vehicles will maximize order fulfillment with expertise in transporting unique goods and dangerous commodities. For example, vehicles with temperature-control systems are needed to move perishables and biopharmaceuticals.
4. Custom packaging and labeling
The package selections and labeling options is an essential feature as it helps to provide customers with customized solutions. Packaging needs can range from safety concerns to aesthetics or branding strategies.
Moreover, adequate packaging and accurate labeling will ensure that the commodity is never misplaced, lost, or damaged in transit or warehouses. It will reduce shipping delays and negate warehouse management constraints. Canadian consumers are environmentally conscious. So, Canadian eCommerce companies must look out for recyclable packaging options too.
5. Shipping costs
Shipping can significantly drain your business funds, especially when you need to ship a large volume of items. Therefore, it is essential that the prices of these shipments are pre-negotiated and tailored according to what best suits your business needs.
Logistics companies will offer different plans depending on package DIM weight, shipping frequency, delivery destinations, and zones. You can negotiate a price before making any decisions, so there are no surprises at checkout!
6. Order tracking
Order tracking is the lifeblood of any e-commerce business, and it's one way for customers to see when their purchase will be delivered. It informs customers in case there are ever issues with shipping timeframes.
Furthermore, proactive emails and messages can empower customers to optimize delivery when orders are notified in real-time. This simplifies logistics operations for businesses of all sizes to provide an excellent post-purchase customer experience.
7. Delivery services
When everything is said and done, delivery remains the final process in order fulfillment. Final delivery happens after all other aspects of shipping are taken care of, including exceptions in reverse logistics.
Canadian customers expect their packages to be delivered promptly and have specific standards when ordering from an online store. Moreover, delivery expectations have come a long way with hyperlocal, same-day, next-day, 2-hour, and super express deliveries.
Choosing a Canadian shipping company with more friendly delivery options like curbside or on-demand delivery will help satisfy customer expectations.
8. Reverse logistics
eCommerce companies must offer a hassle-free return policy to keep customers coming back. Enabling them to initiate reverse logistics for the exchange or return of products is an excellent way to build brand loyalty.
Having a comprehensive returns management system is a good way of doing this. Reverse logistics is a vital component of the supply chain. It enables products to go back through their original warehouse and await reselling or refund. A logistics company should ideally be adept in reverse logistics to support the company's returns management authorization.
9. Security and quality check
The logistics industry performs critical tasks like ensuring parcel security and quality checks during transit and warehousing. These principles must not be overlooked at any cost since they maintain a company's reputation.
Consequently, it also keeps the integrity of the operations and protects the company from negative feedback. Moreover, every level in the logistics chain must be secured and checked for quality to deliver consistency in the supply chain operations.
10. International shipping
Not all companies are equipped to provide international shipping as it requires a lot of paperwork and tax payments, making it a sophisticated process. With the rise in international shipping, logistics services are more important than ever to provide a seamless experience. If the processing is not done efficiently, the products might get stuck in customs, causing a dent in customer service.
11. RTOs management
Your product will be returned to its origin warehouse if delivery is unsuccessful. This process is called Return To Origin or RTO. RTOs happen because of failed deliveries, delayed shipments, and stuck trucks.
These events add to an already unwanted process that can ruin your business. Therefore logistics companies in Canada are constantly looking for ways to curtail RTOs, like using a comprehensive NDR or a non-delivery report management system.
12. Insurance policy
Shipping operations can always go wrong. It's an unfortunate reality of the industry, but these circumstances sometimes occur during accidents or mishandling of parcels.
However, insurance policies can help avoid financial losses for the customer and business, compensating for lost or damaged products. Most logistics companies have comprehensive insurance plans tailored to each business's needs and monetary compensation for lighter goods.
13. Customer service
Well-oiled logistics companies are not without their challenges. But good customer service is a must for the success of these businesses. Like businesses, shipping companies have started using automated customer support. At the same time, good customer support reduces the service calls for various grievances.
14. Company history and its order fulfillment consistency
Regarding a logistics company's track record, its operational prowess and management bandwidth are vital indicators. A good example would be the company's experience in catering to different industries with consistency.
It also helps to check the partnerships they have brought on board over time. And all the relevant facts should point to a company that has fulfilled orders for years in a highly successful manner.
4. Final Conclusion
With many new e-commerce companies emerging on the scene daily, your business needs a competitive edge, which top logistics companies can provide. And a consolidated logistics partner will help maintain the integrity of your business's supply chain operations.
This builds loyalty among your customers looking for a fast-tracked and reliable post-purchase experience. Canadians have always been trendsetters in North America. So it's no surprise that Canadian retailers continue this tradition by embracing innovations and changing trends in the global supply chain system.
A top logistics and shipping company in Canada with updated technology and resource management will ensure your business fulfills its potential. So, we hope this article will guide you in understanding and selecting the right logistics company in Canada for your business.
1) What are the services a logistics company in Canada provides?
Logistics companies assist in managing and streamlining supply chain activities. It involves shipping and transportation, order processing, warehousing, and order fulfillment, like picking and packing.
Canada has a lot of native and cross-border service providers like DHL, Yusen, DTDC, and UPS.
They are well furnished to handle transport planning, execution, customs clearance, storage of goods, etc. Another essential component of the logistics industry in Canada is the third-party logistics providers and freight brokers. 3PLs are excellent in warehousing and managing inventory, picking and packing parcels, and managing returned products.
2) Which company is best for shipping in Canada?
The answer to this question is somewhat subjective the best shipping company would entirely depend on two factors. First, what shipping services are you looking for for your specific shipping needs? Second, which company is adequate to handle them?
For the second factor, there can be further considerations. For large order volume and international consumer base, global carriers like FedEx, UPS, DTDC, DHL, XPO, and Asendia, are the best options. However, for dropshipping or domestic shipping for small order volumes, Canada Post, Purolator, Aramex, Canpar, and Chit Chats are budget-friendly choices.
The goal is to balance your shipping requirements, budget, and high-end courier services. Sometimes, it's even better to choose multi-carrier shipping instead of depending on a single carrier.